Thursday, July 10, 2008

Nokia 6210 Navigator.


















































Nokia have been showing off their Nokia 6210 Navigator at the O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference, and we've compiled some great video reviews of it. The 6210 Navigator, as you can probably guess, is a GPS phone, but as the videos show, it's not just any GPS phone - it's so advanced and the detail of its maps is so precise, you couldn't actually get lost anywhere on earth with it! No, seriously. Even if the maps of your present vicinity aren't so hot, you'll at least know which way the nearest town or road is. How? Because the 6210 Navigator comes with a built-in compass and accelerometer, as well as GPS.

This means that not only does the phone know exactly where you are, it also knows the direction in which you're pointing. This last step is hugely significant, as it means that the map is constantly oriented in the direction in which you're travelling, rather than always pointing up to North. You no longer have to work out whether to turn left or right when facing south; nor will you get confused with which way you're pointing on a featureless map.

Better still, it's not just abstract lines of maps that the 6210 displays. You even get the option of viewing full satellite photos of your surroundings, which also turn as you do. Like I said, you really can never get lost with this thing!

How does the following sound:
  • 2.4" display with 16 million colors
  • quad-band GSM
  • dual-band UMTS
  • dual-band HSDPA
  • geotagging
  • Media player
  • FM radio
  • Bluetooth 2.0
  • 3.2 Megapixel camera with auto focus, flash and video
  • USB 2.0
  • internal memory of 120MB
  • microSD card support up to 8GB
  • weight: 117 grams
  • size: 103 x 49 x 14.9 millimeters.

Now bear in mind that this isn't a top-end N-Series phone - nope, it's just a mid-range phone with high end features! The expected retail price of the Nokia 6210 is just 300 Euros, which makes it extremely affordable. If Nokia can cram all of this into a device fro just 300 Euros, what on earth will they manage to crowbar into their N-Series phones late rin the year?!



Being tempted by the Nokia Compass Phone

I must admit, I have my eye on the Navigator as maybe a new phone to get. Sure I've got my E90 Communicator, which is great for relieving the tedium of queues, as I can simply use its superb Web browsing abilities whenever my mind has nothing to do. But the E90 has two faults that stop me from using it anywhere and everywhere. Firstly, it's a bit on the large size. It's no problem during winter, as I can put it in one of my voluminous coat pockets, but it doesn't really fit inside a trouser pocket. You end up putting it in your back pocket, which not only looks like you have a major case of piles, it also screams to the nearest thief "come and steal me now!!"

Which brings me onto the second problem with it - it's so expensive, I'm terrified of it being pinched! Honestly, laptops cost less than this, and I never take a laptop out with me! So I need a new less expensive, less intrusive phone to take out with me in the evenings. One that won't cause an unsightly bulge, and which won't cause me to take out a second mortgage if it gets pinched. And I think the Nokia 6210 navigator might just be that phone!

The Nokia 6210 Navigator's release date is this July, so watch this space as I decide what to do.

0 comments: